Last night started out like any other night. Dinner, grocery shopping, baths, bed, movie. Wyatt and I started to watch Gigi, some movie that got 9 academy awards in 58. Not really getting the movie, or maybe too distracted by other things, it started to thunder and lightning outside. Here in Oklahoma the lightning comes first and its a HUGE flash of light followed by a LOUD boom of thunder.
Innocently I asked if Wyatt would like to go outside and watch the storm with me. He agreed and out we went! They don't have storms like this in Utah! It was INCREDIBLE! Lightning lighting up the sky, TONS of it! Light after light, hardly a thunder to go with it. It was neat. Then the rain came. And it POURED! It was coming down sideways and there was oodles and oodles of rain. We sat and watched, walked around to find a spot to see the rain better, got wet, enjoyed the warmth of the storm. Thats one of the nice things about the rain here in OK. It is so warm, you could shower in it.
Wyatt decided to come back in and turn on the tv. Sure enough the weatherman was on and they were talking about this storm, with hail and what not that was heading our way. It was in Edmond. Thats where we go to church. 20 min drive from our house. As soon as he said hail, it was as if on cue, it started to hail. Dime sized hail. Nothing too damaging. Wyatt even ate one. Straight from the heavens! The power was going on and off in our apartment, and then the outside lights just went out!
This is when the night got eventful, in a way I don't EVER want to happen again! The weather man said that there was signs of a tornado in the metro area and it would be a warning until 10:45. Yea. OUR area. It was 10:10 or so by this time. I was freaking out. They have a good system here, they tell you what to do if there is a tornado in your area. Go to the lowest part of the house, putting as many walls between you and the outside, cover yourself with matresses, heavy pillows, blankets, and cover your head. Simple enough? Not when you are the first apartment and 3 sides of your house are the wall to the outside! We had one thing going for us. We are ground level. So here we are trying to figure out where the safest part of our house is, when the sirens came on. Loud, and long. Wyatt was still prancing about outside, watching the tv, being distracted. ( I think he was feeling a little nervous at this time!)
We decided the safest place was to go into the girls room in the closet. The tv was flickering pretty bad, so we decided it was the place to go and to head there right away! So we unloaded the suitcases from the closet and we sat in there with the girls and a flashlight. We have no wind-up radio here. Its in Utah. *I'm making a trip to a store today to get one!* So we still had the tv on, being quiet to try to hear what was happening.
Meanwhile its still raining, lightning-ing, blowing wind outside. Then it all stopped. In a second it was all done. No rain, no lightning, gone. As if nothing ever happened. Wyatt had his cell and was calling some people that he works with to see what was happening near them. He came out of the closet and went back to the tv. It was 10:43 by this time. We had 2 1/2 min before the warning would be over with. Wyatt took the girls outside to see the rain and the lightning. I sat inside and watched the tv to see if there was anything else coming our way or going to happen or what! The lightning came back and it was lighting up the sky all over again, but there was no rain. By this time it was flooding. Rivers of water running down the road. Hailey wanted to go run through the water. I was still shaken I didn't want the girls anywhere but near me so I could grab them and run back to the closet if needed. There was a man outside that we started to talk to, and he was saying that it was gone past us. The one thing about being here is I don't know where any of the towns are that the weatherman was saying to get into the shelters and what not. If it was by us, if we were done, what was happening! The man told us that if we heard a train then we needed to be in our "shelter" as fast as we could. I thought he was meaning the city will have the trains turn on or something to mean that it was really here! He said no, and told us thats what a tornado sounded like. A train. Hmm...now I know!
The storm was gone and heading south east of us. We could go back to bed. Then the sirens came on again! WHAT!?!?!? The weather man said it was probably a glich. Great. Thats all we need. A glich in the system. Yay! * I'm still a little shaken from it all, if you can't tell!* We put the girls to bed and went to bed ourselves, watching the lightning flashes light up our room.
As you could probably guess, I didn't get too much sleep last night! This morning is promising though! Its as if nothing happened last night. Sky is blue, sun is shining. It looks like a good day!
No comments:
Post a Comment