Sleep is a needful thing in this house, and in many households! In a recent study I have done I have found that kids, around the ages of 2 and 3, who aren't getting enough sleep are:
1: Whiney. They will whine at any chance they can get. (which is almost all the time.)
2: Rude. When they are lacking in the sleep department, out comes full blown rudness. Example(s): talking back, name calling.
3: On the verge of tears. Children experiencing this will cry at the drop of a hat. Litterally.
4: Pouty. Out comes the bottom lip and they will pout their way through the day.
5: Ungrateful. A seemingly fun day at the zoo and a dinner out would come as a joy to a sleep-filled child. Children lacking in sleep take it for granted and couldn't care less.
6: Fits. You can count on these when you have a sleep deprived child.
Not all children experience each of these symptoms at the same time. Chances are they will stick to one or two. On really bad occasions, they may hit the 3-4 mark. I suggest that if your child is nearing the 3 mark, to stay at home. If, on the off chance, they are showing any signs of sleep deprivation while you are out, make sure that you are with someone who is childless and pawn your child(ren) off onto them for a few minutes.
There are severe cases when you are in dire need of leaving the house and there is no way a childless person is able (or willing) to help out, here are some things to remember.
1: Get your screams out BEFORE leaving the house.
2: Make sure the child has has something to eat/drink BEFORE leaving. It helps to ease up on the above symptoms.
3: Ignore it. Something you're mother has taught you for years could come in handy. Tune them out. I have seen some cases where the parents took drastic measures to ignore. They are called Ipods. I suggest, if needs be, to purchase one. They could come in handy!
Each child is different. One may experience a set of symptoms that are completely opposite of another. When this happens, it is best to pack it all up and go home to bed. All of you. There is nothing worse than an over-tired child and an over-tired parent.
Most important piece of advice I can give you is this: At the end of the day when your child(ren) is sleeping and you think that you cant go on, go in and look at your child(ren). All those feelings of despair and anger melt away. Then hurry up and get in bed yourself! You might be in for another fun-filled day ahead of you!
If anyone has done a study of their own and has some other advice, it would be most appreciated!
I can tell that this was a scientifically-based study because EVERYTHING IS TRUE!!!!
ReplyDeleteExcept the part where you go in and look at your children when they're sleeping and it will make your anger and despair melt away---I never go in when they're sleeping--what if they wake up?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!